Mentoring – The Lost Art
Mentoring is a fundamental form of human development, where one person invests time, energy, and personal know-how in assisting the growth and ability of another person.
- Before departing for the Trojan War, Odysseus (Ulysses), King of Ithaca, introduces his son Telemachus to a wise friend and advisor, Mentor.
- Mentor serves not only as a counsellor to the prince during Odysseus 20 year absence, but also as a guardian and guide.
- Most important, Mentor does not replace Odysseus in the parental role; rather, Mentor with the help of his patron, Athena the Goddess of Wisdom, assists a young prince to problem solve, to understand and embrace the challenges that await him.
- 71% of Fortune 500 companies have a mentoring program.
- 69% of surveyed companies representing a wide variety of industries, have formal mentoring programs,
- and of those, 74% have mentoring programs dedicated to women.
- 96% of executives credited mentoring as an important developmental tool.
- 75% said mentoring played a key role in their career success.